Lack of motivation, low mood, and feelings of hopelessness may be what you are going through. It is not just a phase and no, you can’t just ‘get over it’.
Depression can leave you feeling isolated from others, overly tired, and overwhelmingly sad. Sometimes there are triggers or life events that cause depression. Other times there is no event that can be pinpointed. The things you used to enjoy no longer interest you and you struggle to remember the last time you felt hopeful or excited.
Depression can affect our thoughts, emotions, behaviours, and physical well-being.
Some of the symptoms of depression that you may notice are:
- Persistent feelings of sadness or hopelessness
- Loss of interest in previously enjoyed activities
- Irritability or frustration
- Reduced ability to feel pleasure or joy
- Feelings of guilt, worthlessness, or excessive self-criticism
- Difficulty concentrating or making decisions
- Thoughts of death or suicide
- Changes in appetite or weight
- Disturbed sleep patterns (insomnia or excessive sleep)
- Fatigue or lack of energy
- Social withdrawal and isolation
- Decreased motivation and productivity
- Physical symptoms:
- Headaches or bodily pain without a clear physical cause
- Digestive issues or changes in appetite
- Aches and pains
- Slowed movement or restlessness
Depression can impact our daily lives and ability to function, our relationships with others, and our overall well-being.
Therapy can be highly effective in treating depression
Therapy can help you overcome depression by:
- helping you identify and challenge negative thought patterns and beliefs
- learning to reframe thoughts and develop healthier cognitive habits
- improving relationships with others and communication skills by addressing difficulties in your relationships
- exploring the unconscious thoughts and emotions that may be underlying
- processing past traumatic or distressing experiences
- promoting self-awareness, emotional healing, and adaptive coping
- providing a safe and empathetic space, allowing you to express your feelings, thoughts, and concerns without judgment
At Open Door Therapist, we tailor therapy treatment to fit each unique individual’s needs. Our psychotherapists are trained in a variety of modalities for the treatment of depression to help alleviate symptoms, elevate one’s mood, and heal the root cause of the issue.
Evidence-based approaches that we use at Open Door Therapist to help individuals cope with, overcome, and heal from depression are:
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT)
- Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (DBT)
- Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT)
- Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR)
- Parts Work Therapy
- Cognitive Processing Therapy (CPT)
- Emotion Focused Therapy (EFT)
- Mindfulness based approaches